When I first moved into my new place and took a shower, I realized that there was a small lake outside my shower stall door. My friend took a look at it and determined that the rubber stopper on the door was rotted out and needed to be replaced.
So, today I went to Home Depot and bought one. It was fairly cheap. About $3 and seemed fairly easy to install. You just remove the old one and slide the new one into the grooves that the manufacturer so conveniently put there for that little piece of rubber.
Yeah, nothing in my life is easy, so why should this be any different?
I took off the metal piece from the bottom of the shower still door. That was easy. A Phillip’s head screwdriver and I was in business.
Once it was off, I proceeded to realize how freaking NASTY that metal piece was. Like, it had never, ever been removed and cleaned in all the years that this trailer has been lived in. Seeing as how this trailer was produced in 1982, that’s about 30 years of crap that was built up on that. Soap scum, mildew, hair. OMG it was totally gross!!!
So, first order of business, Clorox wiping the hell out of that thing!
Then, moving on to pulling that rubber thingy out.
Unfortunately, it wasn’t going to come out easily. It had rotted in spots, torn away in others. It took me a butter knife, flat head screw driver, Phillip’s head screw driver, box knife and 5 damn hours to get that thing off of there.
I never before realize that rubber could literally fuse with steel. I had no damn idea that that was even scientifically possible.
But, after much elbow grease, and much frustration, I finally got that track clear enough that I could put the new one on.
It was beautiful! Clean and fit perfectly. I put it back on the bottom of the shower stall door and closed the door to admire my handiwork.
And realized that the damn door is cockeyed. 😦